Top 5 Manga I Quit Reading

Manga.  We know it.  We love it.  But not all manga is equal and it certainly isn't all good.  Good or bad, however, I usually try to stick with a manga until the end, if there is an end.

That said, there are some manga that have bested me.  For a manga to turn me away is quite the feat.  It's not always that it's bad.  Sometimes, I just couldn't connect with it or (even worse) lost the ability to connect with it.  So without further delay, these are 5 manga I just up and quit reading.

5.  Genshiken Second Season



This one is tough because I loved the first series so much.  I couldn't wait for more Genshiken.  Then, it came.  I was so happy...until I started reading.  As I mentioned in my Genshiken review, it was like riding a motorcycle into a brick wall.  The change in direction was so sudden, so jarring, and so off-putting that I completely lost interest.  I just couldn't connect with what was happening anymore.  I trudged my way through four issues before quitting, so I gave it an honest try.  The manga just wasn't for me anymore.

4.  Bleach



Bleach was awesome in the beginning.  Filled with intense battles against fierce opponents, it was everything an action junkie could want.  Then something happened.  After what should have been the final battle (Ichigo vs. Byakuya) the manga kept going.  I was like, "You saved Rukia and made Byakuya, the Soul Society's top badass, see the light.  What more do you have to prove?"  Unfortunately for me, it gave me an answer.  I lasted a few issues after Ichigo vs Byakuya before deciding it was too stupid to continue reading.  I do miss the characters though, so I might well start reading again in the near future.

3.  Haikyu



This one was a heartbreaker.  Following a pair of volleyball rivals turned teammates, it had all the intensity any good sports manga should have.  Even with that, I just couldn't stay interested.  I wanted to love this manga, but some reason I kept dozing off before giving up halfway through the second issue.  It's puzzling because I was interested and the manga isn't boring.  It did everything right and still couldn't hold me.  I definitely want to try this one again.

2.  Mysterious Girlfriend X



This one just turned me off from the beginning.  The main character (don't know his name) sees a girl sleeping in class, drooling on her desk.  Then, for what every reason, after class is over and she leaves he tastes the drool.  Naturally, the boy gets sick.  Then we learn that if he doesn't keep drinking her drool, he'll keep getting sick (WTF?).  I'm sure the story goes deeper than that, but I didn't have the stomach to keep reading.  I stopped reading after the first two or three chapters and haven't looked back since.  I'm sure I'm missing a "gem", but it was simply too disgusting to continue reading.

1.  Terra Formars



Like Mysterious Girlfriend X, this one was disgusting, but in a much more disgusting way.  It's sad because the concept is so interesting.  The planet Mars has been terraformed (hence the title) and is now suitable for life.  It's now up to a handful of astronauts to explore the planet and see what's there.  The creatures already on the planet, however, was the breaking point for me.  Once, there discover Mars is overrun by giant cockroaches that look a lot like Negro males.  Yep.  You read right.  The whole goal of astronauts is to wipe out every black male/cockroach they see.  Well, that probably isn't it.   But I don't know as I stopped reading when racist woman got her neck snapped by a cockroach/negro (whom they casually approached like idiots), causing the main character to go all Dylann Roof on their asses.  I didn't even finish thirty pages before I tossed it aside.

There are a few other manga that I quit these are the ones that really stand out.  I want to like any manga I read and try to avoid ones I don't.  Sometimes they find you, though.  I may try reading all of these again at some point, but it's going to time to warm up to some (looking hard at you, Terra Formars).  Anyway, that my list.  Do you disagree with any of these?  What manga have you quit reading?  Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anime Hotties: Ikumi Mito

Anime Hotties: Mayumi Nishikino

Anime Hotties: Yaeko Minegasaki